The Downtown Roanoke 2017 plan establishes a vision for the future of downtown. While Downtown Roanoke has experienced rapid growth over the last several decades, this plan addresses a number of challenges that the community identified.
Potential design and infrastructure changes that the Downtown Plan proposes to Salem Ave.
The plan discusses the following policies:
- Encourage historic renovation and support the use of historic tax credits.
- Protect historically significant buildings in the downtown.
- Preserve signs and murals that add to the fabric of Downtown.
- Market the close proximity to the mountains, Roanoke River, Blue Ridge
Parkway, and Appalachian Trail.
- Celebrate the unique culture and growing diversity of Roanoke.
- Support Downtown Roanoke’s position as the regional center for the
Virginia’s Blue Ridge area.
- Work to fill vacant storefronts.
- Repair voids in the streetscape and improve the pedestrian realm, while
supporting infill development.
- Improve the area around Campbell Court.
- Activate the City Market Building.
- Enhance the pedestrian experience within the Market area.
- Support the City Farmer’s Market.
- Support appropriate floodplain management.
- Reduce flooding by encouraging stormwater and green infrastructure
projects in downtown.
- Build on new growth to the west of downtown by encouraging
redevelopment of vacant buildings.
- Capitalize on the expansion of the South Jefferson Redevelopment Area.
- Encourage development to the north of downtown to be connected with the
- Improve the empty lot next to the Wells Fargo Tower into an active plaza.
- Create new park spaces.
- Improve connections to South Jefferson with improvements to streetscape.
- And more…
You might also be interested in…
What do you think about Roanoke’s future?
The Comprehensive Plan survey is currently open! Please take a minute to fill it out and tell us what you think.