The Downtown Roanoke 2017 plan establishes a vision for the future of downtown. While Downtown Roanoke has experienced rapid growth over the last several decades, this plan addresses a number of challenges that the community identified.
Potential design and infrastructure changes that the Downtown Plan proposes to Salem Ave.
The plan discusses the following policies:
- Encourage historic renovation and support the use of historic tax credits.
- Protect historically significant buildings in the downtown.
- Preserve signs and murals that add to the fabric of Downtown.
- Market the close proximity to the mountains, Roanoke River, Blue Ridge
Parkway, and Appalachian Trail.
- Celebrate the unique culture and growing diversity of Roanoke.
- Support Downtown Roanoke’s position as the regional center for the
Virginia’s Blue Ridge area.
- Work to fill vacant storefronts.
- Repair voids in the streetscape and improve the pedestrian realm, while
supporting infill development.
- Improve the area around Campbell Court.
- Activate the City Market Building.
- Enhance the pedestrian experience within the Market area.
- Support the City Farmer’s Market.
- Support appropriate floodplain management.
- Reduce flooding by encouraging stormwater and green infrastructure
projects in downtown.
- Build on new growth to the west of downtown by encouraging
redevelopment of vacant buildings.
- Capitalize on the expansion of the South Jefferson Redevelopment Area.
- Encourage development to the north of downtown to be connected with the
- Improve the empty lot next to the Wells Fargo Tower into an active plaza.
- Create new park spaces.
- Improve connections to South Jefferson with improvements to streetscape.
- And more…
You might also be interested in…
Be engaged in your community
If you’d like, we will send you an email when new projects and opportunities to get involved in your community come up.